Sciatica is a common type of pain affecting the sciatic nerve, a large nerve extending from the lower back down the back of each leg.
What Are the Symptoms of Sciatica and How Do You Treat It?
Common symptoms of sciatica include:
- Pain in the glute/buttock or leg that is worse when sitting
- Burning or tingling down the leg
- Weakness, numbness, or difficulty moving the leg or foot
- A constant pain on one side of the glutes or buttock region
- A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up
Sciatica usually affects only one side of the lower body. Often, the pain extends from the lower back all the way through the back of the thigh and down through the leg. Depending on where the sciatic nerve is affected, the pain may also extend to the foot or toes.
For some people, the pain from sciatica can be severe and debilitating. For others, the sciatica pain might be infrequent and irritating, but has the potential to get worse.
Seek immediate medical attention with any symptoms of progressive lower extremity weakness and/or loss of bladder or bowel control.
What Causes Sciatica?
Sciatica, as defined by western medicine, is caused by irritation of the root(s) of the lower lumbar and lumbosacral spine.
The Chiropractic approach differs from the western medical philosophy.
In western medicine, the symptoms of an ailment are treated for, typically with pain and anti-inflammatory medications. This would only mask the symptoms of your sciatica.
The chiropractic approach aims to find the reason why the pain is there in the first place and correct it.
There are many things other than irritation of nerve roots, that can cause a “sciatic” like pain running down one’s leg.
- improper alignment of the pelvic girdle
- muscle imbalances such as weakness and tightness
- muscle trigger points in certain associated muscle groups
- disc protrusions
- piriformis syndrome
Specific Chiropractic Adjustments, along with soft tissue therapy, kinesiology taping and flexion-distraction techniques will help get rid of sciatica.
Most patients experience relief the same day.